The Independent Commission for Human Rights (ICHR) throughout the Palestinian-controlled Territory have issued their report for October 2009, see http://www.ichr.ps/etemplate.php?id=174 for the full report.
WHERE ARE THE INTERNATIONAL AGENCIES NOW!!!
Based on ongoing monitoring and documentation of encroachments on human rights and public freedoms during the month of October 2009, ICHR has the following conclusions:
1. Several cases of death occurred for various reasons including family disputes and manslaughter.
2. Death cases occurred due to negligence and failure to undertake public safety precautions.
3. Torture of detainees persists in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, as indicated by detainees' claims and complaints filed to ICHR
4. ICHR representatives are still denied the right to visit detention centers administered by the Internal Security and police forces in the Gaza Strip.
5. Detention of individuals prevails in both the Gaza Strip and the West Bank without regard to due process and stipulations of the Basic Law and the Code of Criminal Procedures.
6. The Ministry of Interior in Ramallah continues to deny the De facto Authority in Gaza of the supply of passport books.
7. The non-enforcement of courts’ decisions and rulings continue in the West Bank.
Below is a list of the subjects in the report:
1. Violations to the Right to life and Physical Safety
ICHR documented 19 cases of death in the Palestinian-controlled Territory during October 2009 including 9 deaths in the Gaza Strip and 10 deaths in the West Bank.
2. Torture during Detention: Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment
ICHR recorded its deepest concerns about the persistence of practices by security agencies that constitute infringements on the rights and safety of detainees in both the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. In ICHR's opinion, these practices should be prohibited, criminalized and punishable by law.
3. Violations of the Right to Proper Legal Process and Just Procedures-
4. Attacks on Media, Academic and Personal Freedoms
5. Attacks on Public institutions and Public and Private Property
In the month of October, ICHR documented the several cases of attacks on public institutions and private properties for example - on 25/10/2009, unknown individuals set fire to a cafeteria at Deir al-Balah Service Club. According to ICHR information, all the Cafeteria’s contents were burnt down or damaged before the flames were extinguished by the Civil Defense.
6. Delayed Execution and Procrastination in the Enforcement of Palestinian Courts' Judgments
7. Violations to the Right to Travel and Movement
8. Dismissal from Civil Service (dismissed male and female teachers who were appointed in the era of the Hamas Government in 2006)