Monday, September 23, 2024

Just Another Afternoon of Missiles

 (From Jeanine Hirschhorn, a resident of Haifa)

At approximately 16:45, I heard 8 explosions in succession.  Ran to my living room window, nothing to see. No tracer rockets, no impact dust. No siren.

At approximately 17:05, I heard 11 explosions, a few louder than the rest.  Ran to my window, saw impact dust pillar somewhere in a field before Akko. No tracers. No sirens.  It may help to remember that the apartment building that  

At 17:15, 5 explosions, except faint, distant.  Nothing to see.

17:25 11 explosions, faint, but I can feel their concussion when I put my hand on my living room window frame.  Nothing to see. 

17:44 9 explosions, rattling my window frame.  Nothing to see.

18:06 6 explosions.  Didn't even rattle my window frame.  Nothing to see.

I'm guessing that, due to the something that passes for regularity between explosions, Hezbollah has put rockets/mortars on timers, same as Hamas did in Gaza.  Terrorists set the timer, then take off, so that they're long gone to avoid capture and when the air force gets around to bombing the site. 

I also know that today's explosions will stop, that Hezbollah will clock out at sunset, in about half an hour.  Same as they did during their 2006 bombardment. Hezbollah clocked in about 06:30, clocked out at 20:00 at sunset.  The origins of the rockets/mortars/missile launchings are harder to see in daylight.  After the sun goes down, easier to see and destroy.

On the Northern Command (Pikud Haoref) site, there is an on-going list of towns, mostly Galilee Muslim/Xtian villages (something neither your govt/media will report), where missiles were detected.  Including the one I saw hit just outside of Akko.  

When the explosions started, none of my neighbors could be bothered to look north.  After the last round of explosions, a few are now looking out their windows, of course with their mobiles glued to their ears.

I'm a tad more nervous about missiles because I live in a top floor flat.  In 2006, a missile went thru the roof of a bloc of flats 4 blocks west of me, as well as a block of flats about 2 blocks south of me (for those of you familiar with Haifa, Hess Street and Leon Blum Street).  The black smoke from the fire caused by the missile direct hit on Hess poured in to my living room thru the open window. 

There are several cargo boats out in the Bay, waiting to enter Haifa port.  Can't imagine what the captains/crews must be thinking as they hear the explosions.  Since they haven't hightailed it out of here, it means that Lloyds (of London, the famous marine insurer) isn't nervous.  Yet.


No comments: