IDF Thwarts Hamas Infiltration and Terror Attack Using a Tunnel
1. IDF spokesperson reports that Early Thursday morning (July 17), IDF forces thwarted an attack by Hamas terrorists attempting to infiltrate Israel through a terror tunnel.
"This morning, IDF forces identified approximately 13 terrorists attempting to infiltrate Israel through a terror tunnel constructed by Hamas. The tunnel led underground from the southern Gaza Strip towards the southern Israeli community of Sufa. IDF forces thwarted an impending terror attack, preventing the terrorists from attacking an Israeli kibbutz. The foiled attack could have had deadly and devastating consequences if carried out. No injuries were reported to IDF soldiers.
Terror tunnels are just one example of Hamas’ constant attempts to violate Israel’s sovereignty and security, by carrying out lethal attacks against Israeli civilians. As the IDF demonstrated in recent days, Hamas will not be able to launch strikes against Israel without consequences."
2. On July 8th, another major terrorist attack was foiled when a massive terror tunnel was exposed and was blown up close to the Kerem Shalom crossing, where dozens of truckloads of goods enter Gaza every day.
3. Both these foiled terror attacks took place close to the land crossings between Israel and Gaza, which function as important lifelines for the civilian population of Gaza. Despite these repeated attacks, Israel will continue to operate the land crossings in order to allow for goods to enter the Gaza Strip.
4. Video of the thwarted attack:
5. Photos of the terrorists' weapons: