Thursday, May 22, 2014

Israel has little to fear from the International Criminal Court

The ICC’s former chief prosecutor says the Palestinians wouldn’t have much of a case against Israel.


Anshel Pfeffer | May 20, 2014 

In the dysfunctional state of Israeli-Palestinian relations, the “nuclear option” for the Palestinians would be joining the International Criminal Court as a member state and exercising that membership to launch war crimes investigations against Israel. At least, that’s the view of many in Israel, which, like the United States, is not a member of the ICC.

But to judge by comments made by the ICC’s former chief prosecutor, Luis Moreno-Ocampo — who, even two years after leaving his post in The Hague, remains the controversial court’s most persuasive advocate — Israel has little to worry about. 

Last week, on his first visit to Israel, Moreno-Ocampo was full of praise for the local legal system and eager to point out that joining the ICC could backfire for the Palestinians. “Being here in Israel is not liking talking about international justice in Boston or Sweden,” said Moreno-Ocampo, who was here as a guest of the Fried-Gal Transitional Justice Initiative at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s law school. “The issues here are not academic.”

But he isn’t at all sure that if the Palestinian Authority were to join the ICC — or if Israel were to join, for that matter — the international court would actually play an active role in the conflict.

The ICC’s job is to investigate and prosecute only in cases in which the local legal system is not performing. “In a dictatorship they can make you disappear and kill you,” said Moreno-Ocampo. “But here, even if the situation is awful, you cannot disappear; you have the rule of law.”

He is wary of being yet another foreigner who “comes here and says I can solve your problems.” Saying Israel has “great lawyers here,” the former chief prosecutor said if Israel’s Supreme Court could find a way to win the Palestinians’ trust, perhaps it could adjudicate claims the Palestinians want to bring before the ICC. For the ICC to rule on Israel’s activities, he said, “the Palestinians have to prove that the [Israeli court’s] decision was to shield the defendants. They would have to prove that it wasn’t a fair proceeding.”

Moreno-Ocampo rejected a Palestinian request that the ICC launch a war crimes investigation against Israel after its May 2010 raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla, which ended in the deaths of nine Turkish nationals. “I told them that I can’t offer you success because you are not considered a state,” the former chief prosecutor recalled. “First go to the United Nations and when they recognize you, come back.”

The Palestinian Authority did go to the United Nations, and its status has since been upgraded to non-member observer state, making it eligible to join the court. All the same, Moreno-Ocampo said ICC membership could be a double-edged sword for the Palestinians, since it would also open them up to investigation for alleged war crimes, such as rocket fire and bombings targeting Israeli civilians.

“The ICC could help the Palestinians, but it could also increase the conflict,” said Moreno-Ocampo. “And the Palestinians should ask themselves how they would do it, because if you want to include everything since 2002 [when the ICC was established], that could include things done by the Palestinians. Another alternative is to start from 2015, not investigate past events and now that Hamas is part of the government, that would prevent them from committing more crimes.” 

Moreno-Ocampo’s warnings may seem strange to those who see the ICC as an interventionist organization of busybodies, but he doesn’t see the international court as an institution that should necessarily be conducting many global investigations.

The former chief prosecutor is certain the ICC’s impact will be felt over decades, not necessarily because of the cases that actually go through the court but because it is drawing a line between war crimes that can only be prosecuted by an international forum and cases that will be increasingly dealt with by the countries where the war crimes took place.

“Law enforcement is national, but acts of terror need global investigations,” said Moreno-Ocampo. “We’re living in a new age when people under 25 from Argentina, Italy and Russia are communicating around the world with each other and are very similar. This is the global community which will demand common standards.” The best outcome of for the ICC, he said, is that “there will be zero cases. That is the best because it means we are having an effect. The law is not for judges; it’s for people.”

The success of the ICC, maintains Moreno-Ocampo, should not be measured by the number of its successful prosecutions, but by the change its very existence is making in the way governments investigate their own security forces. He is certain that even the Israel Defense Forces “changed its orders just because of the ICC.”  

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not my first time to go to see this web page, i am
visiting this web page dailly and take nice facts
from here everyday.

Anonymous said...

I seriously love your blog.. Great colors & theme.
Did you create this website yourself? Please reply back as
I’m wanting to create my own blog and would love to know where you
got this from or exactly what the theme is called.
Kudos!

Haifa Diarist said...

All aspects of the design are taken from the options offered by Blogger. See www.blogger.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, wonderful weblog format! How long have you been running a
blog for? you make blogging look easy. The full glance of your web site is magnificent,
let alone the content material!

Anonymous said...

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging
for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is magnificent, as well as the content!

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
I'm quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here!
Good luck for the next!

Anonymous said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best sites on the web.
I am going to highly recommend this blog!

Anonymous said...

Hello to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is
getting more from this site, and your views are pleasant designed for new viewers.

Anonymous said...

Appreciation to my father who shared with me concerning this website, this
web site is truly amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hello! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him.

Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I have read several just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting.
I wonder how much effort you place to make any such fantastic informative site.

Anonymous said...

These are actually enormous ideas in regarding blogging.
You have touched some pleasant factors here.
Any way keep up wrinting.

Anonymous said...

Wow! After all I got a website from where I be able to genuinely obtain useful
facts regarding my study and knowledge.

Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I've just forwarded this
onto a friend who was doing a little homework on this.
And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him...
lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending some time
to discuss this issue here on your site.

Anonymous said...

Amazing issues here. I'm very satisfied to peer your post.

Thank you so much and I am taking a look forward to touch you.
Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

Anonymous said...

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after going
through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
Regardless, I’m definitely happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be bookmarking it
and checking back often!

Anonymous said...

You're so interesting! I do not believe I have read a single thing like
this before. So wonderful to find someone with some original thoughts on this subject.
Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site is one thing that is
required on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this great read!! I certainly enjoyed every bit of it.
I have got you book marked to check out new stuff you post…

Anonymous said...

I want to to thank you for this very good read!!

I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it.
I've got you book-marked to check out new stuff you post…

Anonymous said...

Awesome article.

Anonymous said...


I think the admin of this web page is really working
hard in favor of his site, for the reason that here every data is quality based material.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post.
I like to write a little comment to support you.

Anonymous said...

Hello I am so glad I found your site, I really found you by accident,
while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Regardless I am here now and
would just like to say thank you for a tremendous
post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don't have time to browse it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I
have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent
work.

Anonymous said...

whoah this blog is great i really like studying your posts.
Keep up the good work! You recognize, many people are searching
around for this info, you could aid them greatly. drones repair

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will
make sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later in life.
I want to encourage you continue your great writing, have a
nice morning!

Anonymous said...

Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this website daily, this website is actually
good and the visitors are truly sharing fastidious thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I get pleasure from, cause I discovered exactly what I
used to be looking for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt!
God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

Anonymous said...

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga
group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content.
Please let me know. Thanks

Big Video said...

No problem sharing anything that is posted on my blog

Anonymous said...

Hey very nice blog!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought aboout writing an ebook or guest authoring oon other websites?
I haqve a blog basedd upon on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
I know my viewers would enjoy your work. If you're
even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Anonymous said...

I every tіme emasiled this blog post page to аll my associates, because if like to read it afterward my
contacts will too.

Anonymous said...

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this web page
is really good.

Anonymous said...

Saved as a favorite, I really like your website!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This post could not be written much better!

Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!

He always kept preaching about this. I will send this information to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for Canadian Computer Store

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!!
I certainly loved every little bit of it. I have got you book-marked to check out new things you
post…

Anonymous said...

Hi every one, here evеry person iѕ sharing tһеse familiarity, thus
it's pleaasant to reaⅾ this blog, and I սsed to visit this webpage everyday.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent web site. Plenty of helpful information here.
I'm sending it to several friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.

And certainly, thank you to your sweat!

Anonymous said...

I've been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area .
Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website.
Reading this info So i'm glad to exhibit that I've an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed.
I such a lot unquestionably will make certain to
do not omit this website and give it a glance on a constant basis.

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at once more here frequently.
I am relatively sure I will be informed plenty of new stuff
proper here! Good luck for the next!

Anonymous said...

Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this web page daily, this
web site is truly good and the viewers are really sharing good thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Superb website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?

I'd really like to be a part of online community where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share the same interest.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you!